Teaching Literacy in Art

     This year our school district is continuing its literacy initiative.  Teachers must incorporate literacy into all subject areas, including art.  I have to admit, that I met this initiative with apprehension since I never learned how to teach literacy while studying to become a teacher.  However, even simple changes have made a huge difference in the ways students connect their work in my classroom to other subject areas.  I have noticed that students are more focused, more engaged, and leaving my class with a better understanding and appreciation for the arts.  It has also helped me feel more connected to my colleagues as I am challenged to teach new material and collaborate on interdisciplinary projects.
     The downside is that I have to do a lot more research and grading than ever before, but
I anticipate that this will diminish over time as I develop curriculum.  I have also found that there are not many resources available about teaching reading and writing in art.  I have to rely on general resources about teaching literacy in other content areas.
     So what have we done so far?  First, I made an effort to have more books in the classroom.  I have always had books in the classroom but many of them were about modern artists (or earlier), not artists with whom the students could relate.  I spent some money last year on purchasing books on contemporary artists including Todd Schorr, Dana Schutz, Peter Max, Mark Ryden, Dale Chihuly, Wayne Thiebaud, Scott Musgrove, Banksy, Alex Pardee, David Hockney, Marion Peck, William Wegman, Tim Burton, and others.  I also purchased collective books on graffiti artists, Pop Surrealism, and contemporary sculpture.  Of course, I edited some of the graphic content...it was hard to rip some pages out of brand new books, but more important to me to allow students to just take a book without the worry.  I use the books for reference on classroom projects.  Students also look at them when they need inspiration or when they finish a project early.  The students LOVE the books.  They actually sit together and look over them and TALK ABOUT ART together.  It's been amazing to see them excited about artists that are relevant to them.  I had the same feeling the first time we took students to the Whitney Bienniel.  They loved the show because those artist were making comments about their world, some of them were even their age.  Now, we try to go to every Biennial and it happens every time!

     Next, I purchased some magazines.  I purchased a class subscription to SchoolArts magazine, which
I have used in the past.  I cannot express enough have valuable this resources has been in the classroom, but
I knew that when I bought it having had it at my old district.  I also subscribed To ArtNews, Raw Vision, and Hi-Fructose Magazines.  I use the articles for reference, but also as a "read aloud" session, where
I read to the students.  I show slides of the artist's work on the LCD projector as I read.  I expected some resistance from my advanced high school students the most.  They are the students that just want to come to class and get right to work.  I did get some grumbling from them at first, but now, they have the most appreciation for the days that I read aloud.  It also sets a nice tone to have the lights out while they view the slides and listen.  I try to choose artists that I know they'll relate to.  This week we read about Kris Lewis, who is from New Jersey and who studied at the University of the Arts.
Keep posted on more literacy in the artrooom.   I have more lesson ideas to share!


       

0 comments:

Post a Comment