Art Bins

     In Art II, III, and IV every student has an art bin with his/her own supplies.  At the beginning of the year, I supply all students with a bin and the following: gum and kneaded erasers, fine and extra fine tip black Sharpie markers, oil pastels, chalk pastels, an Ebony pencil, set 16 oval watercolor paints, blending tortillions, pencil sharpeners, and a set of colored pencils.
     I teach grades 6-12 in the same classroom so over the years I noticed that my high school students were "squirreling away" art supplies.  I would find supplies hidden all over the room and when I needed a class set of supplies for a lesson, half of them would be missing.  I then started requiring students to bring in bins and I started ordering some higher quality supplies for the bins.  Over the years, students have donated old bins and now I have enough for the 2 high school classes that need them.  If students are working on a project and using a supply that is not in their bin, they can simply store the supply in their bin for as long as they need it. 
     The students enjoy having their own supplies.  They love when they first open them and learn that the supplies are their own.  At the end of the year, students return the bins but can keep the original supplies.  Many students give back some of the supplies, which are part of my classroom sets for middle school students.  Overall, I am actually buying less than ever before since this process is far less wasteful.  This allows me to splurge on special supplies in my budget.  Also students can bring their bins home when they need to complete a project at home.  They also receive a large portfolio to store their artwork which they can bring home too.  I love to see my students in the hallways with their bins and portfolios.  I think it makes them feel special too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment