In the past, I assigned students a weekly sketchbook assignment. Usually, the sketchbook assignment would focus on a technique that related to our class project. And usually, I would get something scribbled on the way to my classroom, if the student handed in anything at all. They were terrible and I found that some students cramming to sketch in their sketchbooks the month before a college portfolio review. I knew that something had to change and I didn't want to give up sketchbooks entirely, so we made some drastic changes for this school year.
First, I decided to approach the assignments as artist journals instead of sketchbooks. Then, I ordered everyone a sketchbook instead of making students buy them. This way,
I ensured that everyone had a quality sketchbook the first week of classes. The students treated them like a gift, I was really surprised by their gratitude.
Next, I showed them pictures from the internet of artist journal pages. I also purchased a great reference book, The Journal Junkies Workshop; Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict, by Eric M. Scott and David R. Modler. I kept this book and similar books out for student reference all year.
Finally, I also committed to showing students 3 techniques a week that they can use in their books. These techniques were optional, but most students used them in their journals.
I emphasized that artist journals can include writing, collage, drawing, doodles, etc. I required that students hand in 10 pages per quarter and graded the journals at the end of each quarter.
The result? Amazing success! Students feel ownership over their books, the books are more of a reflection of their interests and personal style, and every student in class turned in their journals on time. Almost every student asked that I grade the book in class and return it to them right away. They carry the journals with them all of the time and whenever they have free time in class they are working on them. I give them a week at the end of each quarter to work on their books and share ideas. I also promised that I would not read their journaling unless they gave me permission. Some students stuck to the traditional sketchbook idea, but with much better sketches since they were able to draw what they liked, instead of something that was assigned. Some artist journal pages are below:





















0 comments:
Post a Comment